How to run a Whois query to find out all the public information of a registered domain
It is possible to know thee public information of a registered domain querying the databases of the relevant registries through the Whois protocol. Queries can be made at the command line, or through web tools made available by the registries of the specific extensions. The tool to be used, therefore, may change depending on the extension of the domain being queried.
Domains .com, .net
For these domains, a Whois query can be carried out usign the relevant registry web page: Verisign Search WHOIS
Example 1. Suppose you're looking for information on the microsoft.com domain. If you enter the domain name (without www) on the indicated Verisign page, you get the following result:
Domain Name: MICROSOFT.COM Registrar: MARKMONITOR INC. Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 292 Whois Server: whois.markmonitor.com Referral URL: http://www.markmonitor.com Name Server: NS1.MSFT.NET Name Server: NS2.MSFT.NET Name Server: NS3.MSFT.NET Name Server: NS4.MSFT.NET Status: clientDeleteProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited Status: clientUpdateProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited Status: serverDeleteProhibited https://icann.org/epp#serverDeleteProhibited Status: serverTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#serverTransferProhibited Status: serverUpdateProhibited https://icann.org/epp#serverUpdateProhibited Updated Date: 09-oct-2014 Creation Date: 02-may-1991 Expiration Date: 03-may-2021
This information is sufficient to know the situation of the domain. The main ones are:
- Domain Name: it indicates the name of the domain.
- Registrar: it indicates the international authority that manages the registration.
- Whois Server: it indicates the server that responds to the Whois, that is the server that contains the database of names registered by MARKMONITOR INC.
- Referral URL: it allows you to consult the domain registration contacts.
- Name Server:it indicates the name servers delegated to resolve the name; the first in the list is the main name server, the others are the secondary servers.
- Status: it indicates the status of the domain and therefore whether or not a domain can be transferred.
- Expiration date: it indicates the expiration date of the registration.
Example 2. Suppose you need to search for the domain registration contacts. This is done by following the link given in the Referral URL line, in this case http://www.markmonitor.com. On the next page you will need to locate the field in which to perform the Whois query - follow any instructions given on the site. For microsoft.com we obtain the following result (the data shown above has been omitted):
Registrant Date Registry Registrant ID: Registrant Name: Domain Administrator Registrant Organization: Microsoft Corporation Registrant Street: One Microsoft Way, Registrant City: Redmond Registrant State/Province: WA Registrant Postal Code: 98052 Registrant Country: US Registrant Phone: +1.4258828080 Registrant Phone Ext: Registrant Fax: +1.4259367329 Registrant Fax Ext: Registrant Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Administrative Contact Data Registry Admin ID: Admin Name: Domain Administrator Admin Organization: Microsoft Corporation Admin Street: One Microsoft Way, Admin City: Redmond Admin State/Province: WA Admin Postal Code: 98052 Admin Country: US Admin Phone: +1.4258828080 Admin Phone Ext: Admin Fax: +1.4259367329 Admin Fax Ext: Admin Email: email@example.com Technical Contact Data Registry Tech ID: Tech Name: MSN Hostmaster Tech Organization: Microsoft Corporation Tech Street: One Microsoft Way, Tech City: Redmond Tech State/Province: WA Tech Postal Code: 98052 Tech Country: US Tech Phone: +1.4258828080 Tech Phone Ext: Tech Fax: +1.4259367329 Tech Fax Ext: Tech Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Name Server: ns4.msft.net Name Server: ns1.msft.net Name Server: ns2.msft.net Name Server: ns3.msft.net
This information shows the registration data of the domain. Among the most significant are:
- Registrant: owner of the domain and legally responsible for the use of the site;
- Admin-C: administrative contact of the domain on which depends the outcome of transfer requests. In the case of a request for a change of registrar, the new registrar sends an email requesting authorisation for the transfer to this administrative contact, asking for confirmation. If the Admin-C does not reply to this request, the transfer procedure will fail and the domain will not be transferred.
Domains .it, .eu, .org, .info, .biz
For these domains, it is possible to consult the registration details with a single Whois request, made directly to the respective Registry of each TLD (ccTLD, gTLD). In particular, for the above extensions:
- .it → https://web-whois.nic.it/
- .eu → https://eurid.eu/it/
- .org → https://pir.org/products/org-domain/
- .info → https://info.info/whois
- .biz → https://www.whois.biz/
Again, it is possible to identify the email address of the administrative contact, the registrar they belong to, the status of the registration and the expiry date.